Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Intro to Poetry

SUMMONS by Robert Francis:
I rated this poem a 9 because I really enjoyed the imagery of an easy going character speaking to a force to inspire them to get up and do something adventurous rather than sleeping all day long or just living life with no significant purpose. The diction of the poem serves the imagery of a spirit needing motivation to get up and do something knowing they won't regret it.

THE PLACE WHERE WE ARE RIGHT by Yehuda Amichai:
I rated this poem a 5 because the emotions it made me feel felt rather gloomy and uninspiring. The message I received from the poem talked of a symbolic place where we are right and paralleling it with a doubtful, unattractive destination forcing the reader to conclude that the place where we are right isn't as beautiful as the place where we are wrong.

EVERYTHING IS GOING TO BE ALRIGHT by Derek Mahon:
I rated this poem an 8 because I like how it didn't just mention the beauty in life as if there were no turmoil. I enjoyed the acknowledgment of negativity but rebutted with an attitude to always look on the bright side.

WORKING TOGETHER by David Whyte:
I rated this poem a 7 because it talks of the narrators thoughts of the impact the planes he's building will have on its passengers. Giving them the realization of the influence of the world on ourselves and ourselves on the world and the intangibleness of physical and mental objects on earth as one flies in a plane witnessing the miraculous view from the rounded window.

WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS by Shel Silverstein:
I rated this poem an 8 because I enjoyed the contradiction of a negative connotation of a sidewalk ending and transforming it to a positive destination where all worries and negativity is left behind and  the slow pace to a new road beginning a new path.

OUT BEYOND IDEAS by Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi:
I rated this poem a 8 because it talks of a safe place from societal cliches and judgements against others actions. A place where a "soul lies down in that grass" and feels a disconnection from the bashes of society.

No comments:

Post a Comment